Nine people were arrested at a neo-Nazi demonstration held in the North-East over the weekend.
National Action held its White Man March on the Quayside in Newcastle on Saturday.
The far-right white supremacist group has an openly racist agenda and supports the National Socialism movement founded in Germany in 1920 by Adolf Hitler.
Footage posted online shows members, many covering their faces, burning flags, giving Nazi salutes and chanting ‘Hitler was right’.
Northumbria Police said the demonstration attracted about 100 le with around 70 people on a counter demonstration nearby.
The demonstrations started at around 2pm and lasted for two hours.
Nine people were arrested for public order offences including inciting racial hatred.
Assistant Chief Constable Winton Keenen said:
“The majority of people attending this event did so peacefully. However, there were a number whose behaviour was unacceptable resulting in nine people being arrested.
“We simply will not tolerate people engaging in behaviour that could negatively impact on our communities and will take positive action against those who do.
“I’d like to thank the local community and businesses for their cooperation during the events.”
Source – Northern Echo, 23 Mar 2015
From North East Anti-Fascists
National Action and British Voice came out with a heavy internet fuelled white power violence vibe, all of the usual ludicrous master race bullshit. This was their set piece event, their burst for hegemony on the far right and they were humiliated (they know it and we know it).
Their rag taggle assembly of misfits was only able to operate through the protection of the police, while NEAF/antifa were mobile, autonomous and democratically organised.
We had the streets, the White Man March did not happen along its designated route, they did not pass! No Pasaran!
No arrests for us, nine for them and many more stories from a great day will doubtlessly emerge. The fundamentals are that class struggle politics in the North East is slowly reasserting itself. We have some beautiful, talented and brave working class people around us and an adventurous, yet serious approach.
> Good grief… no sooner has Pegida UK slunk away with their tails between their legs before another bunch of right wing fantasists are coming to Newcastle…
North East Anti Fascists
Official Press Statement
Our Banner will Read – “SMASH THE WHITE MAN MARCH”
Stand Against Racism and Nazism
The North East Anti Fascists recently mobilised successfully against Pegida in Newcastle, and are now looking to develop the movement so that it can confront all far right attempts to spread hatred that divides our communities.
Amidst the wreckage of the tiny and splintering fascist scene, a group of young ‘want to be stormtroopers’ (‘National Action‘) are attempting to resurrect the deceased Nazi tradition.
We are aware that these Nazis and racists intend to try and goosestep through Newcastle on the 21st March 2015, an area which was bombed by Nazis previously and which fought against them.
The North East Anti Fascists state that such a development is to stir up racism and division, to undermine community cohesion, and is merely a self serving exercise to feed their own egos. National Action must be stopped from spreading their message of racist hate and violence, and from getting organised in Newcastle and the UK.
The provocative racist ‘White Man March’ is thought to be occurring on the Quayside.
It is clear to us that the anti fascist movement needs to be more confrontational and can do, as we need to start blocking these Nazi ‘want to be’ stormtroopers. Gathering far away and going nowhere near them is a recipe for continual failure, and is only a means of controlling and neutering what opposition there is to racism and fascism.
We had previously stated that we will be meeting at first at the official Newcastle Unites (NU) event which was advertised as starting at 10am and lasting till 1 at the Monument, when the White Man March is due to start at 2. However, NU have changed their times to 1.30pm till 4pm. NEAF will still attend the Monument, to begin with, but then we will be going on a Nazi hunt and all those who are serious about their anti fascism will be welcome to help.
The latest news is that the Nazi march will be confined to the Millennium Footbridge, by the Baltic. NEAF will be encouraging people to take anti fascism into their own hands, to be their own leaders, to take their own initiative and do what is necessary.
We do not think that a comforting message of bread and circuses, ‘do nothing and listen to the music’, when the fascists are across town is anywhere near good enough. We need to be and do better comrades, if we wish to be effective.
We will announce another convergence point and time, a demonstration – to give it its just so 20th century label, for all anti fascists shortly.
We will be present throughout the day to provide a provisional attempt at the anti fascist spirit and intent necessary if we are to effectively smash fascism off our streets. Watch this page for updates.
ALERTA ALERTA ANTIFASCISTA!!