A nurse at South Tyneside’s main hospital has been kicked out of the profession after launching an ‘abhorrent’ anti-Muslim tirade on the internet.
Lisa Marie Kane identified herself as a staff nurse on her Facebook social networking site and embarked on a tirade of abuse against patients after a visit to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.
She told her Facebook ‘friends’ – which included colleagues at South Tyneside District Hospital – that there were more Muslims in the RVI “than in Kabul”, accused them of being “brainwashed” and demanding they “get out of my country”.
She also accused Muslims of “chopping off people’s heads” and carrying out rapes.
The comments were made on June 19, 2013, and were reported to hospital bosses.
She was subject to a disciplinary hearing in October 2013 and subsequently dismissed from South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust.
Now Kane, who worked at the hospital from April 2011 until her dismissal, has been struck off following a conduct hearing by the Nursing and Midwifery Council in London.
The investigating panel was provided with screenshots of the comments Kane had made, as well as a transcript of an internal trust investigation and interview with Kane in which she had admitted posting the comments.
During the interview, she admitted making similar comments.
The hearing heard that she was ‘friends’ with other trust staff members on Facebook and had received e-mails from managers regarding how to use Facebook appropriately.
A charge of making inappropriate comments on Facebook was found proven by the panel, as was a second charge that the comments were racially motivated.
The panel concluded that her behaviour had brought the “profession into disrepute” and amounted to serious misconduct.
Robert Barnwell, chairman of the NMC panel, said:
“The panel determined that the act of posting racially offensive comments, borne out of deep seated attitudinal views, was abhorrent.
“The panel finds that Miss Kane’s actions fell seriously short of the conduct and standards expected of a nurse and amounted to serious misconduct.”
“Miss Kane made multiple racially offensive comments on Facebook over a seven-hour period and, during the conversation on Facebook, it was brought to her attention that her comments were inappropriate. But Miss Kane continued.
“Her comments were demonstrative of a deep-seated attitude that was not only uncaring but hostile to a particular group within society, and are fundamentally incompatible with her remaining on the register.
“Balancing all of these factors and after having taken into account all the evidence before it during this case, the panel determined that the appropriate and proportionate sanction is that of a Striking-Off Order.
“Having regard to the matters it identified, in particular the effect of Miss Kane’s actions in bringing the profession into disrepute by adversely affecting the public’s view of how a registered nurse should conduct herself, the panel has concluded that nothing short of this would be sufficient in this case.
“The panel considered that this order was necessary to mark the importance of maintaining public confidence in the profession, and to send to the public and the profession a clear message about the standard of behaviour required of a registered nurse.”
Kane has 28 days to appeal against the decision, with an interim ban imposed in the meantime.
Source – Shields Gazette, 02 Mar 2015
An injured woman with mobility problems was left stranded at a hospital late at night because she did not meet new NHS criteria for transport home.
Lisa Collins, who suffers from a condition that causes her knees to dislocate without warning, had been promised a taxi home from South Tyneside District Hospital when she needed treatment for an eye injury.
But, when she came to be discharged, the 22-year-old, from Westoe, South Shields, was told to make her own way home, despite wearing an eyepatch.
Ms Collins, who has undergone several operations to her legs, said:
“It was 2.30am and they expected me to walk home in the dark by myself, only being able to see out of one eye.”
The customer service advisor had hurt herself earlier in the day when her cat accidentally scratched her in the eye with his claw.
She developed an infection and called the non-emergency 111 number at 9.15pm for advice when the pain became unbearable and her vision started to blur.
She says she was told to go straight to hospital.
“I told them I was going to have to wait until the morning when I could get the bus. She said ‘we’ll sort you out a taxi there and back’.
“I said I don’t need one to get there, I could get the bus, but I would need one to get one back and they said that was OK.”
Ms Collins arrived at the hospital, in Harton Lane, at 9.30pm. Just under two hours later, after being given eye drops and an eye patch, she was discharged with a special cream and a course of antibiotics.
“It was 11.45pm so I had missed my last bus. I went to the front desk and said I was ready to get my taxi.
“That’s when the woman said I didn’t meet the criteria, saying ‘you have to be older than 65’.
“She said ‘you are young enough to get yourself home. It’s your responsibility.”
Ms Collins added:
“I told her I have mobility problems and asked her to check my medical record, but she refused.
“I live on my own. I was very upset and it made the pain in my eye a lot worse. I was crying and I had to take the bandage off, as it was wet.
“I said ‘there is no way I can get home at 1am’. I had no money. I wouldn’t get paid for another week.”
Miss Collins was then told she could have transport, but it would take up to nine hours as her case was classed as ‘non-urgent’
Her father, who lives on the other side of Newcastle, eventually managed to contact a taxi firm willing to pick her up, with him paying the fare the following day, and Miss Collins finally got home shortly before 3am.
She added: “I pay my taxes and feel the NHS has really failed me.”
South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust chief executive Steve Williamson said:
“We are sorry Ms Collins feels that our receptionist was rude.
“Our staff are trained to be professional and courteous at all times. If she would like to contact us, we would be very happy to look into her concerns.”
A North East Ambulance Service spokeswoman said:
“We transported this patient to South Tyneside Hospital and return transport was booked for her by the hospital.
“Due to demand elsewhere, it appears the patient preferred not to wait until transport became available, and made her own way home after the hospital cancelled her transport booking.
“Ambulances are prioritised according to clinical need and the most critically ill people will receive resources first. Unfortunately sometimes this means that some people have to wait longer.
“Where possible, we encourage patients to prepare to make their own way home from hospital so that resources are available for greater emergencies.”
Source – Shields Gazette, 24 Nov 2014
A man has told of his outrage after being told he’d have to pay £60 to take his disabled wife to hospital by taxi.
Joe Charman and his wife Lyndsay have regularly used North East Ambulance Service’s patient transport to get to and from hospital appointments.
But, following changes to the system by the Department of Health, the couple, of Ingleside, South Shields, have been told they no longer qualify.
Mrs Charman, 50, suffers from myotonic dystrophy, a type of muscular dystrophy that relaxes the muscles, and is unable to travel on the bus or Metro.
Mr Charman, 58, asked for an ambulance to take her to Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital next week for a heart check and clinic visit, and says their only option now is to get a wheelchair taxi.
But – with a bill of £30 each way – Mr Charman, who is a registered carer for his wife, says they simply cannot afford to go.
“My wife had to have a pacemaker fitted last year because of her condition.
“She fell at home and broke her ankle in April and was in South Tyneside District Hospital for a while because she had a blood clot in her arm that they said had been because of the operation.
“She was sent home 14 weeks ago and ever since then, she has been in a hospital bed at our home.
“We have to go to the Freeman once a year for her heart check and muscular dystrophy clinic. We live in Marsden and have always got an ambulance.”
“I used to ring the GP and they would organise one for us, but this time was told I had to ring a different number.
“The man I spoke to wasn’t very nice and he said he had to ask a series of questions before he could book us an ambulance.
“He asked about my wife’s disability and how I would get her to hospital in an emergency. I said, if I had no other choice, I would get a wheelchair taxi and he said that’s what I’d have to do this time.
“It would cost £30 there and the same back and we just can’t afford it. My wife is on incapacity benefits and I get a small carer’s allowance.
“We can’t afford £60 to get to a hospital appointment, and she can’t get on the Metro or the bus.”
“I’ve had to ring the Freeman and tell them we can’t make it. We’ve always been given an ambulance in the past and I don’t understand why it’s different now.
“We’re hoping the Freeman might be able to help us out but we’re waiting to hear back from them.”
A spokesman for the Clinical Commissioning Groups in the North East said:
“We’re sorry to hear about Mr Charman and his wife’s situation and the inconvenience this may cause.
“From October 20, we implemented the Department of Health’s national policy, where all new patient transport bookings are subject to a short assessment.
“The assessment includes asking a few questions about how you would normally travel for day-to-day activities and if friends or family normally take you to your appointments.
“The purpose of this assessment is to make sure that the people who require ambulance services are prioritised and that the NHS is making the best use of the funding it has available.
“We understand that this can be a frustrating experience and some people who have previously used this service may find that they are no longer entitled to patient transport.
“If this is the case, then the booking service is offering information and advice on alternative forms of transport.
“If patients have any concerns, queries, or are unhappy with a decision, they can contact the North of Tyne Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via Freephone 0800 0320202, by text to 01670 511098 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org”
> Welcome to the wonderful world of the privatised NHS… it’s only going to get worse.
Source – Shields Gazette, 03 Nov 2014
A blind man in South Tyneside says he was asked if he could “get a bus” under a controversial new vetting system for ambulances.
Former lorry driver Alan Tully, 65, lost the sight in his left eye 25 years ago to glaucoma and has very minimal sight in his right.
He regularly books ambulances for treatment at Sunderland Eye Infirmary and a diabetic clinic at South Tyneside District Hospital.
But when he called last Friday to book an ambulance for an appointment at Sunderland Royal Hospital next month, he was told he was “not entitled” to one – and advised to take a taxi or bus instead.
The move comes after a new eligibility system introduced by the North East’s clinical commissioning groups.
Mr Tully, of Winskell Road, Simonside, South Shields, said:
“I rang my GP at Cleadon Park and they told me the system had changed and they gave me a number to ring.
“When I called, they asked me if I couldn’t not use a taxi instead. I thought he meant a taxi ambulance, which I have used in the past, but he meant for me to pay for a taxi.
“I rang back later and this time the woman asked if I could not get a bus to Sunderland.
“I just told her I was blind and my legs aren’t too good.”
Mr Tully, who gets about with the support of his guide dog Zeke, called the service last Friday and is still waiting to hear from health bosses if he meets the criteria needed for an ambulance.
He added: “I think it’s absolutely disgraceful, I really do.
“How are pensioners supposed to be able to pay for taxis?”
South Shields MP Emma Lewell-Buck expressed her concerns over the rule change and is to seek a meeting with the region’s Commissioning Group.
A spokesman on behalf of the Clinical Commissioning Groups in the North East said he could not comment on an individual case.
He confirmed that regulations did not exempt a person with any particular condition or illness from having their transport eligibility reviewed.
“From October 20, all new Patient Transport Service bookings are subject to a short eligibility assessment, in accordance with national policy.
“This will take the form of a small number of questions being asked at the time of booking.
“The purpose of eligibility criteria is to ensure that those patients, with a medical requirement, can access transport to hospital. Patients with a medical requirement to be transported by ambulance will continue to receive transport.
> You might have thought that any patient trying to get to hospital for pre-arranged treatment could be considered to have a medical requirement ?
“Patients who are not eligible, are given information on alternatives available to them. Patients will not have to pay for an ambulance where there is a medical need for transport.”
If patients have any concerns or queries, they can contact the North of Tyne Patient Advice and Liaison Service via Freephone 0800 0320202, by text to 01670 511098 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
Source – Shields Gazette, 25 Oct 2014