Tagged: far-right group

Sunderland man jailed for EDL violence

A Sunderland man has been jailed for taking part in violence at an English Defence League protest.

Stuart Snowball, 24, was one of dozens of troublemakers who were arrested after trouble flared during a rally of the far right group in Birmingham in 2013.

Fifty men have appeared before Birmingham Crown Court over the past five weeks to be sentenced for violent disorder after ugly scenes were witnessed by police and visitors on July 20, 2013.

The court heard how trouble flared within factions of the 2,000 strong crowd with missiles thrown at police.

A number of officers suffered minor injuries as they tried to restore order amongst the violent minority.

West Midlands Police launched an investigation to trace those responsible by studying CCTV footage and appearing on the BBC’s Crimewatch.

Now the EDL yobs have been jailed for a total of more than 75 years with sentences ranging from community orders to three years and eight months prison.

Snowball, of Howarth Street, Sunderland, has been jailed for 13 months.

Source –  Sunderland Echo,  13 Jan 2015

 

Fascists march through Newcastle city centre

Up to 400 English Defence League supporters joined forces today (Saturday 17 May 2014)  to march through Newcastle.

The event started at 1pm in the Bigg Market, snaked along Collingwood Street, on to Westgate Road, along St James’ Boulevard, on to Barrack Road and into Leazes Park.

The procession was led to the beating of a drum and chants by its members.

Supporters draped in Union Jacks and St George’s flags were hemmed in by lines of police.

The far-right group arrived at Leazes Park to the sounds of a DJ in the sweltering heat.

And from the bandstand they listened to a string of speakers.

Police wearing high visibility jackets flanked the crowds and in the park they carried riot helmets in case of any trouble.

Joining in with the march were people of all ages, from pensioners to mums with their toddler children.

Wendy Angel, from Newcastle, who has been an EDL member since 2011, was an event speaker. She said: “There are more than 300 people here today. It’s great to get this support.”

Ian Crossland, from Sheffield, who is EDL’s South Yorkshire regional organiser, said: “We have had fantastic support. This is just a regional demo and over 300 have turned up. Last week we had a national demo in Rotherham and 700 attended there. We want to get our message across to the general public.”

> And your message is what exactly ?

Hundreds of police lined the streets were the march took place. Across the city officers could also be seen.

Anti-fascist group Newcastle Unites made a counter protest as they marched through the centre. The two groups were kept apart as Newcastle Unites started their march at the City Hall before going along John Dobson Street, on to New Bridge Street, along Blackett Street and ended up at the Monument where they held speeches.

Once the EDL were in Leazes Park, Newcastle Unites members marched along Gallowgate to Barrack Road where they held a static protest.

The EDL then marched back to the Bigg Market where the event finished.

Leader of Newcastle City Council, Coun Nick Forbes, said: “The extremist views of groups like the English Defence League have no place in a modern, welcoming city like Newcastle where everyone regardless of colour, creed or ethnicity is treated with respect.

“Their presence here is a huge concern to businesses and communities alike.”

Chief Supt Laura Young, Newcastle Area Commander, said: “As expected it’s been a busy day in Newcastle and I’d like to thank members of the public visiting the city centre and those who work and live here for their patience and cooperation today.

“There have been a number of events across the city, all of which have passed safely and with minimum disruption. All marches passed off smoothly and there have been no arrests or reported incidents of disorder during any of the events.

“Newcastle is a vibrant city and we get thousands of people coming in every weekend to enjoy everything the city has to offer and I’m pleased they felt able to do so today.

“We are expecting a normal busy Saturday night and officers will be on patrol as usual across the city. The city has a lively night life and this is something we are well used to policing. “

Source – Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 17 May 2014

Fascists to march through West End of Newcastle despite police objections

The English Defence League is to march through Newcastle’s West End, despite objections from police.

Northumbria Police’s Chief Constable Sue Sim fears tomorrow’s demonstration will cause distress to residents.

> Well, yes… that’s their whole intention, isn’t it ? That’s why they’re not marching through Gosforth or Jesmond.

However, the far-right group has refused to compromise with the force and change its route so tomorrow’s march will go ahead.

Chief Cons Sim said: “Northumbria Police has been speaking to organisers from the English Defence League for a number of weeks following their announcement that they want to hold a march in Newcastle on Saturday, May 17.

“The EDL expressed an intention to march in the West End of the city through a highly populated, residential area. We have made our position clear that we do not support this as the impact on the local community is too great. It poses a risk to public safety, will cause people fear in their own homes and create significant disruption as people try to go about their daily lives.

“Northumbria Police has always tried to facilitate peaceful protest and has worked with the EDL in the past to agree suitable routes for them to march and protest. We also regularly work with other groups with a range of opposing views to agree routes for marches and protest locations.

“Regrettably, this time EDL organisers have not been prepared to compromise on an alternative route, although we would remind them we are still prepared to discuss alternatives.

“Those planning to attend should be aware there has been no agreement with police with regards to meeting points or route locations.”

Protest group Newcastle Unites has also spoken to police about marching through the West End tomorrow.

And after discussions the route of this demonstration was altered.

Mrs Sim has vowed that officers will be out on the streets to ensure all protests pass peacefully and that residents’ safety will be a priority.

She added: “We have an excellent history of harmonious relations between all our communities and the public should rest assured that their safety remains our priority. We will not allow anything to disrupt their way of life or any marches to take place in residential areas.

“Our neighbourhood officers, known to local communities, together with other officers will be out and about in the run up to and throughout Saturday to reassure local people and answer any questions they may have.

“We have also been working with representatives of the local community and partners in the run up to the weekend.

“We do expect Saturday to be extremely busy in Newcastle but it will be ‘business as usual’. There are a number of events going on in the city centre and surrounding areas but there is no need for anyone to change their plans or avoid the city.”

Northumbria Police’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Vera Baird is now appealing to the EDL to get in touch.

She said: “The Chief Constable has made an operational decision that no march or demonstration should be allowed in the west end of Newcastle on March 17, and, although I do not make operational decisions, as the Police and Crime Commissioner I agree and support her wholeheartedly.

“Few people would wish to have their communities disrupted in that way, including probably those who want to protest. 

“In previous demonstrations, protests and marches by the English Defence League (EDL), they have accepted the request to discuss the route and the details with Northumbria Police, who have a good history of protecting the right to protest whilst ensuring that people who are not involved are not seriously inconvenienced.

“It is disappointing that the EDL have refused to give details of their plans to the police.

“I would appeal to them to make contact now and agree reasonable arrangements as usual.”

Source –  Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 16 May 2014