Rail unions have launched a legal battle with the Coalition Government over the sale of the East Coast Main Line.
They claim the planned “re-privatisation” of the service before the next general election in 2015 is being rushed through and that ministers have “cut corners”.
The rail unions Aslef and the TSSA said their members’ jobs and conditions, as well as the interests of passengers and taxpayers, were being threatened by a lack of consultation.
They are seeking a judicial review over the matter and are also challenging extensions to the Thameslink and Great Northern franchises.
Aslef general secretary Mick Whelan said: “It is imperative that we raise the genuine concerns of all stakeholders but, especially, the employees before this is rushed through. We cannot, in good conscience, allow the mistakes of the past to happen again.”
The East Coast Main Line franchise, which runs from Edinburgh, through the North East to London, has been in Government hands since November 2009 when the then franchise holders National Express gave it up, saying it could not afford to run it any more.
Before that, from 1996 to December 2007, it had been run by Great North Eastern Railway before it had the franchise taken away due to poor financial management.
It has been run for the Government since 2009 by Directly Operated Railways, which last year returned more than £200m to taxpayers as a result of its stewardship of the line.
In January the Government published a shortlist of three bids to run it as part of plans for the rail route’s re-privatisation. The bidders were FirstGroup, a joint bid from Eurostar and French firm Keolis, and another from Virgin and Stagecoach.
RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash said: “After the scandal of this Government robbing the British taxpayer of a billion pounds in the scramble to privatise the Royal Mail it is shocking that they are engaging in the same tactics to try and hand the East Coast Main Line back to their friends in big business.
“The British public have a right to openness and transparency when it comes to the ideologically-driven attempt to sell off Britain’s most successful rail-route to the speculators and chancers after two previous private sector failures on the same line.”
TSSA leader Manuel Cortes said: “The coalition knows only too well that rail franchising is not fit for purpose. Rail workers are at a loss to understand why the Government insists on going forward with a broken system which threatens the interests of passengers and taxpayers.
“We can only conclude that the ideology which saw Royal Mail flogged off on the cheap continues to thrive.”
A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: “We will vigorously defend this claim and remain committed to the franchising programme.
“As these legal proceedings are ongoing it would not be appropriate to comment further at this stage.”
Source – Newcastle Journal 07 April 2014
Railway workers and supporters are to protest at an event staged by a privateer bidder for Britain’s only publicly owned intercity rail service.
Eurostar/Keolis wants to take over East Coast — Britain’s most efficiently run and profitable rail service.
It was taken back into public ownership in 2009 when profiteers proved incapable of operating it.
Under public control it has provided about £800 million to the Treasury.
But the Tory-Lib Dem coalition plans to hand it back to the private sector before next year’s general election.
Rail unions RMT and TSSA will demonstrate when Eurostar/Keolis stages a presentation in Newcastle.
The protest takes place outside the banqueting suite at Newcastle’s Centre for Life at 12 noon on Friday April 11.
RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash said: “Privatisation has been a disaster for Britain’s railways. They now cost between three and four times more in taxpayer subsidy than the publicly owned British Rail.”
Source – Morning Star 03 April 2014