Tagged: candidate

UKIP candidate is evicted from hotel after angry outburst during political meeting

> UKIP candidates behaving badly…again.

Police had to be called to a public meeting when a UKIP candidate standing in tomorrow’s local elections was thrown out.

A torrent of swearing and shouting led to Stephen Brand being asked to leave the Park Hotel in Tynemouth following his outburst at North Tyneside Question Time run by the People’s Assembly on Monday night.

He is standing in North Tyneside’s Chirton ward for the UK Independence Party against independent candidate Amanda Normand, Labour’s Margaret Reynolds and the Conservative candidate Heather Sarin.

Two officers from Northumbria Police were called to the sea-front hotel at around 7.50pm to calm scenes in the hotel’s ballroom after Mr Brand interrupted a speaker during a discussion on education.

Despite being told by audience members to be quiet and sit down and wait his turn to speak, he continued to shout and became aggressive when event organisers approached him to usher him out of the room.

At one point he shouted that if anyone laid a hand on him “it would be assault”.

A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said: “We were called to the Park Hotel in Tynemouth following reports of a man shouting during a meeting.

“Officers attended and at the request of the manager, officers asked him to leave, which he did.”

He received no police caution or warning for his behaviour and willingly left the scene.

However his outburst just days before the election was not welcomed by fellow UKIP candidate Gary Legg, who is standing in the Monkseaton South ward.

The former member of the RAF had been invited as part of a panel of six representatives from political parties for the question-and-answer session and he is now working with the party to clarify how events unfolded on Monday night.

Joan Hewitt, who co-organised the event on behalf of the People’s Assembly, said: “Normally I wouldn’t condone the highlighting of an unpleasant incident but I think this shows that this particular UKIP candidate was not agreeing with the nature of the event, which was participatory.”

Also speaking on the panel was North Tyneside’s current Labour deputy mayor Bruce Pickard, Alan Furness, who is standing as a Conservative candidate in Valley, Martin Collins for the Green Party in Wallsend, Tim Wall standing for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition in Benton and David Taws, the independent candidate for Collingwood.

A spokesman for UKIP said the party was conducting an inquiry into the incident, however Mr Brand will still stand on Thursday.

He said: “There is a suggestion of provocation. We would apologise however.

“It will be referred to the national executive committee who will look at everything and the committee may determine what the appropriate action is that should be taken.

“It’s very difficult before an election to do anything else. Ballot papers have gone out and they have got his name on it.

Source – Newcastle Journal, 21 May 2014

Stockton UKIP candidate refused pint in local pub over imposter’s bad review on TripAdvisor

A Teesside political candidate was left shocked when he was refused a pint in his local because of derogatory comments he was accused of posting on the internet.

Ted Strike, the UKIP candidate for Stockton South in next year’s general election, said that remarks posted on review site tripadvisor about the Beckfields pub in Ingleby Barwick were not made by him.

Under the moniker “TeddyStrike”, comments were posted which made false allegations of drug use at the pub and criticised food and beer.

But Mr Strike, who has been drinking in the pub since it opened 19 years ago, said: “I don’t know who has posted these comments online but by using my name and making disparaging remarks, it is an attempt to discredit me.

“I couldn’t be certain why but I think it is because I am a UKIP candidate.

“It has happened to me before.

“Last year, someone set up a Twitter account pretending to be me and I have never even used Twitter.”

 “The first I knew of these comments was when I went into the pub on Sunday night and was told I was barred but I managed to clear it up with them.

“I’ve informed police about it all.

“It’s not on.”

A spokesperson for The Beckfields  said: “The fraudulent post and false allegations made are being investigated by the police.

“We take responsible retailing seriously to ensure the safety of our customers and staff and have a zero tolerance approach to drugs.”

Cleveland Police confirmed that they have spoken to Mr Strike and said they would follow up on any further information they received.

Mr Strike has since tried to clear up the matter by posting his true review of the pub on tripadvisor, which is the biggest online review forum in the UK.

It is the second time this week that a UKIP candidate has claimed foul play over postings on the internet, after European election candidate Phillip Broughton said a video posted of him was taken “completely out of context”.

The Guido Fawkes political blog had knitted together video clips of Phillip, also an amateur wrestler, boasting about his income and mocking the poor while acting in character but he laughed it off and said that people would understand the context.

Source – Middlesbrough Evening Gazette   02 May 2014