Protesters have been warned anti-social or criminal behaviour at marches planned this weekend will be dealt with by police.
Almost 350 EDL supporters have said they will march through the streets of Middlesbrough on Saturday afternoon with more considering it.
There have been concerns they may try to march through some of the town’s ethnic minority areas, finishing at the war memorial on Linthorpe Road.
Counter demonstrations are also being planned by groups opposed to the EDL.
Now Cleveland Police has said while groups have the right to stage a peaceful protest, action would be taken if necessary.
A spokesman said officers had been working to ensure the event passed peacefully.
He urged marchers: “Please enjoy a peaceful event, respect the town and respect those who are going about their daily business.”
Marchers were warned banners, flags and placards that might incite disorder would be banned along with anything that could be used to cause injury or damage.
Face coverings, masks and scarves if used to conceal someone’s identity are also banned and the distribution of leaflets in Middlesbrough town centre is prohibited.
The last demonstration by the EDL which went through Middlesbrough town centre in 2011 passed off peacefully despite it being on the same day as a United Against Fascism march.
The police spokesman added: “We aim to use a proportionate number of police officers to ensure your protest remains peaceful and safe. We will however respond to any outbreaks of disorder.
“Middlesbrough is a town of peace – with your help and co-operation we can keep it that way.”
Source – Middlesbrough Evening Gazette, 26 June 2014