More businesses in the North-East have been ‘named and shamed’ by the Government for not paying the national minimum wage.
The businesses were revealed by Business Minister Jo Swinson and included employers not complying with minimum wage rules and having arrears of more than £100 owing to staff.
Those named and who are based in the region were:
- Mrs Karen Aitken, trading as Angel Hair Design, of Gainford, Darlington, neglecting to pay £703.33 to a worker
- Mrs Deborah Adcock, trading as LJ Beauty and Hair, of Seaham, neglecting to pay £463.60 to a worker
- Inn2inns Ltd, of Hemlington, Middlesbrough, neglecting to pay £323.10 to two workers
- Mr Assad Madani, trading as Dona Papa Pizza, in Chester-le-Street, neglecting to pay £101.64 to a worker
The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, which published the 70 strong list, said each case had been “thoroughly investigated” by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Ms Swinson said: “Paying less than the minimum wage is illegal, immoral and completely unacceptable.
“Naming and shaming gives a clear warning to employers who ignore the rules that they will face reputational consequences as well as financial penalties of up to £20,000 if they don’t pay the minimum wage.”
The GMB union said there were still far too few “wage dodging employers” being brought to justice and “bucket loads of evidence” that big firms in particular could afford to pay more.
The Government said it was increasing HMRC’s enforcement budget by a further £3m a year in a bid to recover hundreds of thousands of pounds owed to workers.
The GMB also said a wage offenders register should be kept by Company House with those on it deemed unfit to hold further directorships.
The current national minimum wage for those aged 21 and over is £6.50 an hour, although the Low Pay Commission yesterday recommended to ministers it increases by 20p to £6.70 an hour.
COMPANIES NATIONALLY PAYING LESS THAN THE MINIMUM WAGE
- East Midlands Crossroads – Caring for Carers, Nottingham, neglected to pay £37,592.56 to 184 workers.
- Delcom Systems Ltd, Salisbury neglected to pay £11,731.52 to a worker.
- S Hanns LLP, Chatham neglected to pay £8,448.84 to a worker.
- The Apostolic Church trading as James Kane Nursery, London, neglected to pay £8,347.71 to 2 workers.
- Young Friends Nursery Ltd, Hove, neglected to pay £6,789.71 to a worker.
- Station Garage (Little Weighton) Ltd, Little Weighton neglected to pay £5,440.77 to 2 workers.
- KRCS (Digital Solutions) Ltd, Nottingham, neglected to pay £5,161.85 to 5 workers.
- Mrs Shirley Elvin trading as Seaton Garage & Engineering Co, Hull, neglected to pay £4,840.31 to a worker.
- Pontcanna Hair Studio Ltd, Cardiff, neglected to pay £4,784.34 to a worker.
- Carol Ann Daker trading as Swan Hill House Residential Home, Shropshire, neglected to pay £4,395.78 to 27 workers.
- Hobby Horse Ltd, Plymouth, neglected to pay £4,049.31 to a worker.
- Fylde Coast Pizza Ltd trading as Papa Johns, Blackpool, neglected to pay £3,949.62 to 14 workers.
- Manleys Ltd, Belfast, neglected to pay £3,797.83 to 3 workers.
- J B Howard and Son Ltd, Leyland, neglected to pay £3,469.96 to 7 workers.
- Mr L Tolman & Mr S Blanchard trading as Mardi Gras Hotel, Blackpool, neglected to pay £3,206.76 to 3 workers.
- Stafforce Personnel Ltd, Rotherham, neglected to pay £3,044.79 to 63 workers.
- Best Start Ltd trading as Tiny Treasures Day Care Nursery, Birmingham, neglected to pay £2,928.95 to two workers.
- Maybury Automotive Ltd, Woking, neglected to pay £2,670.88 to 2 workers.
- C&R Tyres Ltd, Kelso, neglected to pay £2,261.60 to 3 workers.
- SSE PLC, Perth neglected to pay £2,233.95 to 5 workers.
- Encore Envelopes Ltd, Washington, neglected to pay £2,060.09 to a worker.
- SmileyWorld Ltd, London, neglected to pay £1,729.00 to a worker.
- Mancroft Ltd, Leeds, neglected to pay £1,172.97 to 3 workers.
- Kevin & Bernadette Farrell trading as Derrygonnelly Autos, Enniskillen, neglected to pay £1,690.35 to a worker.
- Delves Food & Wine Stop Ltd trading as Loco, Walsall, neglected to pay £1,152.48 to a worker.
- Webe (Chelmsford) Ltd, Chelmsford, neglected to pay £1,521.98 to 4 workers.
- Gregson Lane Garage Ltd, Preston, neglected to pay £1,431.57 to 2 workers.
- Ms Julie Ann Wright trading as The Worx, Portadown, neglected to pay £1,110.60 to a worker.
- Mr S Partridge & Ms M Shead trading as Cobblers Fine Sandwiches & Pastries, Wakefield, neglected to pay £1,003.83 to a worker.
- Mr Phillip Campbell & Mrs Lorraine Campbell trading as Supervalu Kells, Ballymena, neglected to pay £905.86 to 2 workers.
- Mr C Pask trading as Pask Hair & Beauty, Derby, neglected to pay £900.00 to 2 workers.
- J&G Salon Ltd trading as Jealousi & Garlands, Tamworth, neglected to pay £881.28 to a worker.
- Faster Fit Tyres Ltd, Scunthorpe, neglected to pay £719.30 to a worker.
- Mrs Karen Aitken trading as Angel Hair Design, Darlington, neglected to pay £703.33 to a worker.
- Clearshot Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £684.94 to a worker.
- Everest Express Ltd, Lincoln, neglected to pay £657.03 to a worker.
- Leisure Emporium Ltd trading as Brown’s Cafe Bar & Bistro, Nottingham, neglected to pay £643.86 to a worker.
- Mrs S Walker trading as Alleyways Fish & Chips, Scarborough, neglected to pay £601.59 to a worker.
- Gary & Toni Valentine trading as The Harbour Inn, Seaton, neglected to pay £584.42 to a worker.
- Shreeji Barnsley Ltd trading as Coffee Delight, Buxton, neglected to pay £555.70 to a worker.
- Rowe Sparkes Solicitors Ltd, Southsea, neglected to pay £530.96 to a worker.
- Fish Hairdressing Company Ltd, trading as Fish Hairdressing, Maidstone neglected to pay £521.82 to 3 workers.
- Mrs Deborah Adcock trading as LJ Beauty & Hair, Seaham, neglected to pay £463.60 to a worker.
- D&D Dies Ltd, Nottingham, neglected to pay £446.37 to a worker.
- G Joynson, D Joynson and C Joynson trading as Headquarters, Withernsea, neglected to pay £430.07 to a worker.
- Matchesfashion Ltd, London, neglected to pay £375.61 to 2 workers.
- Colin Saich trading as Lindcoly Kennels, Bury St. Edmunds, neglected to pay £338.41 to 9 workers.
- Inn2inns Ltd, Middlesbrough, neglected to pay £323.10 to 2 workers.
- 99p Land Ltd, Swindon, neglected to pay £315.26 to a worker.
- General Tarleton Ltd, Knaresborough, neglected to pay £300.62 to 6 workers.
- Western Computer Group Ltd, Bristol, neglected to pay £287.54 to a worker.
- Matrix Electrical Engineering Ltd, Harlow neglected to pay £286.60 to a worker.
- Honeybees Childcare Ltd, Preston, neglected to pay £276.30 to a worker.
- Mr G J Pearce trading as Sheppards Wood Service Station, Nottingham, neglected to pay £268.56 to a worker.
- The Mirrors Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £262.87 to a worker.
- A1 Techsol Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £233.47 to a worker.
- Mrs J Cole trading as Rayleigh Retreat, Rayleigh £231.73 to a worker.
- Hamlet Homes Properties Ltd, Westcliff-on-Sea neglected to pay £226.40 to a worker.
- Smartmove Property Specialists Ltd, Aldershot, neglected to pay £206.36 to a worker.
- EYFS Ltd trading as Oak Tree Day Nursery, London, neglected to pay £181.41 to a worker.
- Mr & Mrs P Munn trading as Merry Maids of the Weald, Tonbridge, neglected to pay £169.56 to a worker.
- Mr H Singleton trading as Willowbank Builders, Huddersfield, neglected to pay £163.89 to a worker.
- Professional Referral Services Ltd, Wigan, neglected to pay £156.93 to 2 workers.
- Amtec Computer Corporation Ltd, Ferndown, neglected to pay £149.64 to a worker.
- Lychgate Coffee Ltd, Wolverhampton, neglected to pay £124.39 to a worker.
- Finite International Logistics Ltd, Penarth, neglected to pay £119.92 to a worker.
- Drummonds Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £113.58 to a worker.
- Grove Mechanical Services Ltd, Magherafelt, neglected to pay £107.00 to 2 workers.
- Lin Chinese Takeaway Ltd, Stoke-on-Trent, neglected to pay £103.00 to a worker.
- Mr Assad Madani trading as Donapapa Pizza, Durham, neglected to pay £101.64 a worker.
The current National Minimum Wage rates are:
Adult rate (21 and over) – £6.50 per hour
18-20 year olds – £5.13 per hour
16-17 year olds – £3.79 per hour
Apprentice rate – £2.73 per hour
The apprentice rate applies to apprentices aged 16-18 and those aged 19 and over who are in their first year. All other apprentices are entitled to the National Minimum Wage rate for their age.
Source – Northern Echo, 24 Feb 2014